This is is being presented at this year’s DevLearn 2011 conference:
- Content developers’ goal – create an engaging educational experience for screens that are convenient, not simply converting existing content to smaller screens. Converting existing elearning content to mobile format is a lesson in futility.
- Design training content for mobile first, not desktop or print.
- Content development should become Agile – continuous experimentation and improvement.
- Design upfront what your smallest content component will be (and optimise for that in your CMS, processes, and UI deliverables)
- Users may experience different interactions/layouts based on mobile device, but learning objectives remain consistent.
- Users will move between mobile, tablet, desktop. Plan for this constant shifting and ensure learning objectves are met even when functionality is missing (e.g. flash on iPad).
- Create default reference design for each of the device types you’ll support and know the limitations of each.
- Develop content for the chunk, not the slide.
Well worth reading in full!