Aptara came out with survey results on the State of Epubs around the publishing world. If you don’t have time for the full pdf survey results, take a look at this short infographic that covers the basics on ebook adoption.
While this is focused on all book publishers, there’s some interesting takeaways for elearning and techcomm professionals:
- ebooks are on the rise across all industries
- Enhanced ebooks will change the paradigm of what it means to be a ‘book’ – i.e. we’ll move away from the print-to-digital conversion, and create new user experiences within the ‘ebook’ world.
- EPUB3 lends itself to this enhanced ebook experience.
For us, the ability to create a rich media experience for our users, along with enabling interaction, will breathe new life into our content. But it’s not just a technology shift, it’s an authoring shift as well. We will no longer be authoring text, or text with spiffy graphics. We will be authoring a rich experience that brings our information to life for the user in ways not possible in print or our current online/pdf world. As authors, we’ll now have to consider:
- Is this idea best conveyed in text, graphics, video, flash, audio, etc?
- Can I enhance the users ability to grasp the topic and apply it through interactive media?
Add to all that, the joy of XML authoring for reuse and you can see our jobs get very interesting, very fast!